The following information was presented by Ameravant Web Studio at the Business 2 Business Breakfast Meeting Mixer on April 7th, at theEarl Warren Showgrounds .
Of the 114 business attending, approximately 80% said they were dissatisfied with the performance of their website to produce business. Following the guideline below will help you bring more traffic to your web site.
How do I attract more visitors to my website?
First you need to understand the basic elements of good Search Engine Optimization:
What is Search Engine Optimization "SEO"?
1) modifying the text on your web site to meet the guidelines of search engines, like Google. Most common text areas are:
a) META Title: shows in the browswer header bar. This is the text you see if you bookmark or save a web page as a Favorite. Guidelines include
1) Start with geographic location "Santa Barbara"
2) Add Vertical keywords "Santa Barbara Small Business"
3) Add Horizontal keywords "Santa Barbara Small Business Websites"
b) META Description: Use the same Meta Title but make a sentence out of it, including a period at the end.
1) Example: "We build Santa Barbara Small Business Websites." Not more than 2 brief sentences.
c) META Keywords: NOT used by Google but are used by other search engines. Guidelines include:
1) Do not use the same word over and over. DO NOT say the words "Santa Barbara" multiple times. For Example don't say "Santa Barbara Small Business, Santa Barbara Small Business Websites". Not more than 25 words.
d) Perma Link URL's: try your best to put your keywords into the URL of the page. For some web sites this will be impossible. You may need to upgrade the technology of your website to do this. For example, http://www.ameravant.com//article/3544-santa-barbara-goleta-business-websites-want-more-traffic
e) "H1" Heading Tags: The body content of your page would optimally have large title text, containing the keywords for that page. For example "Santa Barbara Small Business Websites".
f) ALT Text: This is the text you see when you hover your mouse over an image. All images should have Alt text. Hover your mouce over the image above an you will see the Alt text.
g) Flash Websites: Stay away from all Flash websites. In general, Flash websites are not visible by search engines
h) Check your web site for current development standards at http://validator.w3.org/. Enter your web address and click the "Check" button. Fixing the errors is for programmers, not for site owners.
What is Search Engine Marketing "SEM"?
1) Marketing outside your website to drive traffic back to your website
Google Toolbar and Page Rank tool:
To view how Google ranks each page of your website, you will need to install the Google Toolbar:
The Google Page Rank tool is on the Google Toolbar.
1) Go to www.toolbar.google.com
2) Click "Install Google Toolbar 6"
3) Follow the download and installation prompts.
The Easy Solution:
If you find it difficult to modify the text on your web site to meet the Google guidelines above, please call or contact Ameravant for a free consultation. We offer business websites that start at $1,000, including a full content management system, allowing you to easily update all areas described above.
The above article was also featured in the Santa Barbara Noozhawk.com online publication, titled "Ameravant Offers Tips on How to Maximize Web Presence"